Attention non-vegans: You can now give up the whipped cream (and the guilt that goes with it)… and here’s the best part- you will LOVE cruelty free version! Beating chilled coconut cream creates a delicious alternative to cream which will go with everything- from cakes, to apple crumble to fresh fruit and berries. The trick to this is scooping off the solid layer of chilled cream and beating it for several minutes. Don’t be tempted to throw the coconut cream in the freezer as a short cut though (make sure you chill it overnight in the fridge), as any hint of ice crystals will cause the cream to separate. Other than that, this recipe is easy and scrumptious!
1 can coconut cream, chilled overnight
1-2 Tablespoons of light agave
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (vanilla extract yields a nicer flavour than vanilla essence)
1. Carefully open the chilled can of coconut cream (There will be a thick solid layer of cream which has separated from the milk).
2. Scoop off the solid creamy layer and place it into a bowl (you can use the remaining liquid as a milk replacement).
3. Slowly beat this creamy layer on low, gradually adding in the agave and vanilla extract.
4. After several minutes of beating, the mixture will become thicker and ‘fluffy’. Continue beating to your desired consistency (it will become quite thick and maintain it’s shape if you keep beating)
5. Serve with fresh fruit, on cakes, scones or anything that you would normally dollop cream on! 😉